Volunteer Recruitment Day
Saturday 7 May 2022
This is a free event for you to find out more about being a Volunteer at your local railway
Want to do something different with your free time?
At our railway you can gain new skills, make friends, and help out with a wide range of activities. You don’t need experience as we will train and help you develop skills in your areas of interest. We want people from any background, but you must be aged 18 or over.
We need volunteers to help with a wide range of activities including:
- Station staff – ticket office, station master, refreshments, on our Sunday running days and occasional Saturdays
- Train operations – Drivers, Fireman or Firewoman, Guard
- Special events – including building of props, scenery, maybe a stage, and even a chance to perform
- Commercial and administrative duties
- Engineering – including track and rolling stock maintenance
- Gardening and conservation
- Marketing and publicity
Book your place to receive an informal guided tour of the site and hear from our volunteers about our history, how we operate the railway and our plans to restore the line from Kempton to Hampton.
You will be able to: get up close to our 1903 steam locomotive Darent, our other locomotives and our rolling stock, take a tour of our new and impressive carriage shed and works, and walk around the railway itself. We’ll even provide you with hot drinks and snacks on the day. There will also be an opportunity for you to join the railway and share in the activities which you have seen during the day.
This free event will last up to two hours, and requires advance booking for the two available slots – 11am to 1pm and 2pm to 4pm.
Visitors should be sure to wear stout footwear, as part of the tour will involve walking across uneven ground.
Please note this event is for potential volunteers only, and is not suitable or safe for children, friends, or families.